Prof. Dr. Ana-Maria Olteteanu
Prof. Ana-Maria Olteteanu is the Program Director of Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Technologies at ToU. She specializes in cognitive systems, human-centered AI and specific generative AI models (e.g. for creativity and problem-solving). As an AI Expert for the European Commission and other bodies, Ana-Maria strives to make AI human-centric and focused on human wellbeing. Prof. Ana-Maria Olteteanu has published 70+ papers on AI models and cognitive systems, is a journal editor and program committee member of various highest rank conferences and workshops on AI, cognitive science and creative problem solving. Ana-Maria loves helping companies and start-ups innnovate and generate value through tech/AI USPs.
Research focus description text
Prof. Ana-Maria Olteteanu’s research focuses on human-centered and/or cognitive AI systems that replicate or interface well with various human cognitive functions. Ana-Maria has built many models, especially in the area of creativity and creative problem solving, including generative AI models that replicate various aspects of the cognitive skill. She has both theoretical and applied work that has resulted in various models and assessment datasets requested by 40+ universities.
Topics of reference:
- Cognitive AI systems and cognitive models
- Human-centered AI
- Creative problem solving, computational creativity
- AI assessment systems
- AI supported wellbeing
- Oltețeanu, A.-M and Gali, N. (2023) – A Cognitive Expert System that computationally generates visual Remote Associates Test queries and its validation, Expert Systems and Applications, in prep.
- Oltețeanu, A.-M and Gali, N. (2023) – comRAT-V –A Cognitive Expert System computationally solving the visual Remote Associates Test, with knowledge bases built from cognitive data acquisition and computer vision datasets, Knowledge Base Systems, in prep.
- Oltețeanu, A.-M, Kamrul, H. and Bahety, A. (2023) –Creative object replacement in a cognitive AI system – OROC 2.0 , Expert Systems and Applications, in prep.
- Oltețeanu, A.-M.; Hass R. and Zunjani F. (2023) –Computationally creating a repository of normative data for originality and rank in the Alternative Uses Test , Behaviour Research Methods, in review.
- Oltețeanu, A.-M and Zunjani, F. (2020) – Creating and Validating the Visual Remote Associates Test , Frontiers in Psychology, doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2020.00026.
- Behrens, Jan Philipp and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2020) - Are all Remote Associates Test equal? An overview and comparison of the Remote Associates Test in different languages , Frontiers in Psychology, doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2020.01125
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria, Mihaela Țăranu, Thea Ionescu (2019) – Normative data for 111 compound Remote Associates Test problems in Romanian, Frontiers in Psychology, Cognitive Science, doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2019.01859.
- Falomir, Z. and Olteţeanu, A-M. (2019) - Special Issue on Problem-solving, Creativity and Spatial Reasoning, Cognitive Systems Research (2019), doi:10.1016/j.cogsys.2019.05.00
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria, Mikkel Schöttner and Arpit Bahety (2019) –Towards a Multi-level Exploration of Human and Computational Re-representation in Unified Cognitive Frameworks. Frontiers in Psychology, 10:940. 2019. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00940
- Toivainen T, Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria, Repeykova V, Lihanov M, Kovas Y (2019) - Visual and linguistic stimuli in the Remote Associates Test: a cross-cultural investigation, Frontiers in Psychology, Cognition, 2019. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00926
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria, Susanne Schubert and Mikkel Schöttner (2018) –Computationally resurrecting the func- tional Remote Associates Test using cognitive word associates and principles from a computational solver, Knowledge Based Systems, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2018.12.023
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Shu, L.H. (2017) – Object reorientation and creative performance , Journal of Mechanical Design, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4038264
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Schultheis, Holger (2017) –What determines creative association? Revealing two factors which separately influence the creative process when solving the Remote Associates Test, in The Journal of Creative Behaviour, https://doi.org/10.1002/jocb.177.
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria; Schultheis, Holger and Dyer, Jonathan B. (2017) - Constructing a repository of compound Remote Associates Test items in American English with comRAT-G, in: Behavior Research Methods, https://doi.org/10.3758/s13428-017-0965-8.
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria ; Falomir, Zoe and Freksa, Christian (2018) - Artificial Cognitive Systems that can answer Human Creativity Tests: An Approach and Two Case Studies, IEEE Transactions on Cognitive And Developmental Systems, vol: 10, issue 2, pp.469-475. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCDS.2016.2629622 [OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Falomir, Zoe (2016) -Object Replacement and Object Composition in a Creative Cognitive System. Towards a Computational Solver of the Alternative Uses Test. In „From Human to Artificial Cognition (and back): New Perspectives on Cognitively Inspired AI Systems“, ed. Antonio Lieto and Daniele P. Radicioni, Cognitive Systems Research, vol. 39, pp. 15-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cogsys.2015.12.011 [OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Falomir, Zoe (2015) - comRAT-C:A Computational Compound Remote Associate Test Solver based on Language Data and its Comparison to Human Performance.In „Cognitive Systems for Knowledge Discovery”, ed. Lledó Museros, Núria Agell, and Oriol Pujol, Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 67, pp. 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec/2015.05.015 [OA]
- Falomir, Zoe and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2015) - Logics based on qualitative descriptors for scene understanding. Neurocomputing, https://doi.org/161:3-16,doi:10.1016/j.neucom.2015.01.074 [OA]
Peer-reviewed Conference and workshop papers
- Helie, Sebastien and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2020) Computational Creativity. In: The Cambridge Handbook on Computational Cognitive Sciences.Bahety, A. and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2019) : An approach to computational creation of insight problems using Creacogs principles. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Cognition, Manchester, UK, September 10-11, 2019. pp. 22–38 (2019), http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2483/paper3.pdf
- Zunjani Faheem and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2019) - Cognitive AI Systems Contribute to Improving Creativity Modeling and Measuring Tools. In Understanding the Brain Function and Emotions, p. 97-107, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-19591-5-11
- Zunjani, Faheem and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2019) - Towards reframing Codenames for computational modelling and creativity support using associative creativity principles, ACM Creativity and Cognition, 2019.Behrens, Jan Philipp and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2019) - Are all Remote Associates Test equal? An overview and comparison of the Remote Associates Test in different languages, Cognitive Science Conference, 2019.Zunjani, Faheem and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2019) -A Visual Remote Associates Test and its Initial Validation, Cognitive Science Conference, poster abstract - 2019.Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Yoopoo, Kunkanit (2017) - Towards Computationally Creating Multi-answer Queries for the Remote Associates Test, Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Cognition, in CEUR-Ws, vol. 2090, p. 34-40, http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2090/.
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2017) – Towards Cognitive Social Machines for Bridging the Cognitive-Computational Gap in Creativity and Creative Reasoning, Cognitive Science Conference, CEUR-Ws, vol. 1994, pp. 54-68, http: //ceur-ws.org/Vol-1994/.
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Zoe Falomir (2017) –Problem-solving, Creativity and Spatial Reasoning: A ProSocrates 2017 Discussion, Proceedings of ProSocrates 2017, CEUR – Ws, vol. 1869.Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Shu, Li (2017) –Object reorientation and creative performance. In Proceedings of the International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, Volume 7: 29th International Conference on Design Theory and Methodology Cleveland, Ohio, USA, August 6–9, 2017, ISBN: 978-0-7918-5821-9.
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2016) –Towards Using Cognitive Word Associates to Create Functional Remote Associates Test Problems. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Signal-Image Technology and Internet-Based Systems (SITIS), IEEE, pp. 612-617. https://doi.org/10.1109/SITIS.2016.101.
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2016) - Towards an approach for computationally assisted creation of insight problems in the practical object domain, In Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on “Computational Creativity, Con- cept Invention, and General Intelligence“, CEUR - Ws, vol 1767. [OA]Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria –Towards Re-representation in Cognitive Systems. Proceedings of the 13th Biannual Conference of the German Cognitive Science Society - KogWis 2016 - Space for Cognition, SUUB Bremen, URN http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:gbv:46-00105521-19, October 2016.
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Dyer, Jonathan B (2016). - Associative reactive responses while solving a language creativity task at different levels of linguistic item saliency. IEEE ICDL-EPIROB, Workshop on Language Learning. (Poster abstract)Freksa, Christian;Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria ; Ali, Ahmed Loai; Barkowsky, Thomas; van de Ven, Jasper; Dylla, Frank and Falomir, Zoe -Towards Spatial Reasoning with Strings and Pins, in: Fourth Annual Conference on Advances in Cognitive Systems, Evanston, Illinois, 2016. http://www.cogsys.org/papers/ACS2016/Posters/Freksa-et. al-ACS-2016.pdf.[OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria ; Gautam, Bibek and Falomir, Zoe (2015) -Towards a Visual Remote Associates Test and its Computational Solver . In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Cognition – AIC 2015, CEUR-Ws Vol. 1510, ISSN:1613-0073, http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1510/paper2.pdf [OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2015) - Towards comparable cognitive creative systems. Two case studies and a general approach based on cognitive processing, knowledge acquisition and evaluation with human creativity tests. In Cog- nitum, Workshop on Cognitive Knowledge Acquisition, the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) 2015. http://cognitum.ws/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Olteteanu2015.pdf http://cognitum. ws/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Olteteanu2015Talk.pdf
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2015) “Seeing as” and Re-representation: Their Relation to Insight, Creative Problem-Solving and Types of Creativity. In Proceedings of the Workshop “Computational Creativity, Concept Invention, and General Intelligence“, editors Besold, T.; Kühnberger, K.-U.; Schorlemmer, M. and Smaill, A., Publications of the In- stitute of Cognitive Science, vol 02-2015, Osnabrueck http://cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de/en/system/files/02-2015.pdf [OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2015) The Input, Coherence, Generativity (ICG) Factors. Towards a Model of Cognitive Informativity Measures for Productive Cognitive Systems. In Proceedings of the Workshop “Computational Creativity, Concept Invention, and General Intelligence“, editors Besold, T.; Kühnberger, K.-U.; Schorlemmer, M. and Smaill, A., Publications of the Institute of Cognitive Science, vol. 02-2015, Osnabruc. http://cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de/en/system/files/02-2015.pdf [OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Freksa, Christian (2014) - Towards affordance-based solving of object insight problems, In First Workshop on Affordances: Affordances in Vision for Cognitive Robotics, Robotics Science and Systems,Berkeley 2014. http://theaffordances.appspot.com/workshops/RSS/archive/PN2.pap.pdfhttp://theaffordances.appspot.com/workshops/RSS/archive/PN2.prs.pdf
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2014) - Two general classes in creative problem-solving? An account based on the cognitive processes involved in the problem structure – representation structure relationship. In Proceedings of the Workshop “Computational Creativity, Concept Invention, and General Intelligence”, European Conference on Artificial Intelligence -ECAI 2014, editors Besold, T.; Kühnberger, K.-U.; Schorlemmer, M. and Smaill, A., Publications of the Institute of Cognitive Science, Osnabrück. http://cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de/en/system/files/01-2014.pdf
- Christian Freksa, Ana-Maria Oltețeanu, Thomas Barkowsky, Jasper van de Ven and Holger Schultheis (2017) - Spatial Problem Solving in Spatial Structures, The 11th Multi-disciplinary International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence (MIWAI 2017), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS vol. 10607, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, LNAI vol. 10607, p. 18-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-69456-6
- Freksa C, Barkowsky T, Dylla F, Falomir Z, Oltețeanu A-M, van de Ven J, 2018, Spatial problem solving and cognition, in: Zacks J, Taylor H, eds,Representations in Mind and World , 156-183, New York: Routledge.Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria (2016) - From Simple Machines to Eureka in Four Not-So-Easy Steps. Towards Creative Visuospatial Intelligence. In Vincent C. Müller (Ed.), Fundamental Issues of Artificial Intelligence, Synthese Library, Volume 376, pp 159-180. Springer. Print ISBN - 978-3-319-26483-7, Online ISBN - 978-3-319-26485-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-26485-1_11 [OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Falomir, Zoe (2014) –Towards a Compound Remote Associate Test Solver based on Language Data. In Proceedings of the Catalan Conference of Artificial Intelligence, Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, IOS Press. https://doi.org/10.3233/978-1-61499-452-7-249 [OA]
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria – Cognition and the Creative Machine, Cognitive AI for Creative Problem Solving, Cognitive Technologies Series, Springer; 2020. https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030303211
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria – A Cognitive Systems Framework for Creative Problem Solving, Doctoral Dissertation, SUUB Bremen, URN http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:gbv:46-00105534-13, October 2016.
Editorial work – Books and Special Issues
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Bipin Indurkhya – Re-representation in Cognitive Systems - Frontiers in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Cognition ; Frontiers in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence, Computational Intelligence; Frontiers in ICT and Digital Humanities, Human-Media Interaction, October 2018. https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/7414/re-representation-in-cognitive-systems
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Bipin Indurkhya – Creativity from Multiple Cognitive Science Perspectives Frontiers in Psychology, Cognitive Science; Frontiers in Robotics and AI, Computational Intelligence; Frontiers in ICT and Digital Humanities, Human-Media Interaction, August 2018. https://bit.ly/2H3uopx
- Falomir, Zoe and Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria – Problem-solving, Creativity and Spatial Reasoning in Cognitive Systems , Special Issue with the Cognitive Research Systems journal, to appear September 2018. https://bit.ly/2YZ6g1t
- Oltețeanu, Ana-Maria and Falomir, Zoe (2017) – Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Problem-solving, Creativity and Spatial Reasoning in Cognitive Systems, ProSocrates 2017, CEUR – Ws. Vol. 1869, ISSN 1613-0073. http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1869/
2023 ProFIT grant (€1,4 m) - for technological innovation projects with an inherent and high technological risk - Investitions Bank Berlin (IBB).
2022 European Innovation Commission - Innovation Pathfinder grant - stage 1
2021 German Research Foundation Grant, as Principal Investigator.
2019 National Science Foundation Grant, US, as Co‑Principal Investigator with US partner
2018 Research and Enterprise Committee Funds - United Kindgtom, as collaboration partner at Goldsmiths, University of London, project “Associations between visual and linguistic creativity assessments”
2017 DFG 3 year grant as Principal Investigator of the project Creative Cognitive Systems.
2017 Central Development Fund award, University of Bremen, to basic project funding.
2016 Grant for Symposium organization support – ProSocrates 2nd Edition.
2016 Impulse Grant for experiments on re-representation, obj. knowledge and creativity.
2016 DAAD RISE grant for an intern fellowship after a competition of research proposals.
2015 Obtained an Impulse Grant for conducting an experiment on Human Insight Problem-Solving.
2015 Granted funds for a research fellowship by DAAD.
Evaluator of grant applications and R&D performance
- European Commission, HADEA; HORIZON Europe (2022) – 30 grants x €6 million on Health and Digitalization;
- Future and Emerging Technologies H2020 - assessing R&D performance on multimillion grants with 3-7 institutional partners (2017, 2020);
- MSCA Post-Doctoral Fellowships (2022);
- LESTUDIUM Loire Valley Institute for Advanced Studies (2018);
- Advising on research and business grant requests and grant deployments (grants €1‐6.5 mil euros R&D grants;
- 200k+ postdoc grants)Visiting institutions, businesses, research groups that have been granted EU grants and reviewing outcomes on behalf of the EU
- Advising grantees of the EU on how to develop new technologies and mitigate risk on bleeding edge innovation solutions
Journal Reviewer for
- Thinking and Reasoning Journal;
- Cognitive Science Conference (from 2014);
- Frontiers in Psychology – Performance Science;
- Frontiers in Psychology – Cognition;Knowledge Based Systems Journal;
- Frontiers in Human Neuroscience ;
- PLOS ONE;
- Frontiers in Psychology, Educational Psychology;
- Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures
- Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society
- Pattern Recognition Letters Journal;
- Philosophy and Theory of AI;
- Advances in Cognitive Systems;
- Journal of Design Research;
- JARCA - Qualitative Systems and Applications in Diagnosis, Robotics and Ambient Intelligence
- ACM SIGSPATIAL
Program comittee memberships and conference reviewer
- International Conference on Advances in Human-oriented and Personalized Mechanisms, Technologies, and Services, CENTRIC;
- Cognitive Science Conference - The Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society
- ICCC – International Conferences on Computational Creativity (from 2017)
- AIC – Artificial Intelligence and Cognition ;
- JCSSE - International Joint Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering
- InNCIT - International Conference on Information Technology;
- COSIT – International Conference on Spatial Information Theory ;
- CogMIR - A Workshop on Cognition in Mixed Realities Environments;
- ProSocrates - Problem-Solving, Creativity and Spatial Reasoning Symposium
- International Workshop on Creative Agents – CREAS;
- Spatial Cognition Conference
- KogWis - The Biannual Conference of the German Cognitive Science Society
- Cognitive Science Conference 2019 (member abstracts co-chair);
- 8th International Conference on the Interplay between Natural and Artificial Computation 2019 (Bio Inspired Engineering co-chair);
- CreaCogMod 2018;
- ProSocrates 2017;
- KogWis 2016,
- ProSocrates 2016.
- at the Global Challenge Lab 2021 - an Entrepreneurship programme for hundreds of students and alumni from 11 universities across six continents to develop solutions to help achieve UN SDG 3” Good Health and Well-being – led by the Imperial Enterprise Lab and the Tsinghua x-lab.
- Editorial Board of the Cognitive Systems Research journal (from 2017)
- Guest Associate Editor and Topic Editor on a Special Issue on Re-representation in Cognitive Systems - Frontiers in Psychology/Cognitive Science & Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence/Computational Intelligence. > 51 000 reads
- Organizer and Chair of the workshop Measuring Creativity, at the Cognitive Science Conference in Montreal, Canada, 2019. >100 scientist participated
- Guest Associate Editor and Topic Editor on Creativity from Multiple Cognitive Science Perspectives - Frontiers in Psychology/Cognitive Science & Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence/Computational Intelligence. > 57 000 reads
- Guest Editor on a Special Issue on Problem Solving, Creativity and Spatial Reasoning for the Cognitive Systems Research journal.Editor of the CEUR Proceedings of the ProSocrates 2017 workshop.
- Organized the 2nd Edition of the ProSocrates Symposium at the Hanse Wissenschaftskolleg.
- Organized the 1st Edition of the ProSocrates Symposium - Problem Solving, Creativity and Spatial Reasoning in Cognitive Systems – at KogWis 2016.
- 2017 Nominated for the Heinz Maier-Leibnitz prize of the German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 2017 Awarded the OLB 1st Science Prize for Doctoral Dissertation.
- 2017 Doctoral Dissertation nominated for the Robert J. Glushko prize in Cognitive Science.
- 2017 Doctoral Dissertation nominated for the prestigious EurAI Dissertation award.
- 2016 Received the Hanse Wissenschaftskolleg (HWK) Junior Associate Fellowship.
- 2013 Invited as Fellow of the Heidelberg Laureate Forum 2013, an event bringing together Abel, Fields and Turing Laureates and the next generation of mathematics and informatics researchers.
- 2011-2012 Pre-Doctoral Scholarship in SFB/TR8 - The interdisciplinary Transregional Collaborative Research Center Spatial Cognition: Reasoning, Action, Interaction, at Cognitive Systems, University of Bremen
Conference presentations and invited talks
- Cognitive Science Conference Montreal, Canada;
- Conf. On Interplay btw. Natural and Artificial Computation Almeria, Spain;
- Hacking HR Forum, WeWork Atrium Tower, Berlin;
- Startup Incubator Berlin;
- Profund Innovation, Berlin;
- Mercury Toastmasters Club, Berlin;
- Center Toastmasters Club, Berlin;
- Spreeredner Toastmasters Club, Berlin;
- Cognitive Science Conference, Madison, US;
- Cognitive Soapbox Science, Berlin;
- Artificial Intelligence and Cognition, Larnaca, Cyprus;
- Institute of Cognitive Science, Osnabrück, Germany;
- Freie Universität Berlin;
- German Cognitive Science Conference, Hilton Metropole London, UK;
- Hanse Wissenschaftskolleg (HWK), Delmenhorst;
- German Society of Informatics, Bonn, Germany;
- Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica, Amsterdam;
- Theater Laboratorium Oldenburg, Germany;
- University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands;
- Cognitive Sciences Excellenz Cluster, Potsdam Universität, Germany;
- SITIS, Naples, Italy;
- KogWis, Bremen, Germany;
- ESSLLI, Bolzano, Italy;
- Artificial Intelligence and Cognition, Torino, Italy;
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI**), Buenos Aires**, Argentina; C3GI, Istanbul, Turkey;
- European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Prague;
- Robotics Science and Systems, Berkeley, USA;
- Philosophy and Theory of AI Conference, Oxford, UK;
- Summer School of Spatial Cognition, Santa Barbara, USA, etc.
- AISB – The Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour
- CSS – Cognitive Science Society
- EurAI – The European Association for Artificial Intelligence (through AISB)
- GK – German Society for Cognitive Science
Advisory positions on AI innovation to various start-ups; example business cases:
- AI for clinical research digital products; tech infrastructure for start‑ups product line;
- a psychometrics for digital marketers start-up;
- a reproductive health chatbot – repurposing of datasets;
- a social engagement in teams AI product – innovation AI sparring partner;
- an AI training product for leaders to better understand, support and solidify their team;
- an AI innovation for childcare in Singapore where the metrics of children are tracked to enable their wellbeing and communication between carers and parents is optimized;
- a life coaching tool meant to support users have NEW experiences, to increase their confidence, flexibility and skillset – AI innovation on recommending path of next experiences